I study the evolution of genome content and as an evolutionary biologist I am particularly interested on deciphering between selective and non-adaptive processes that drive the evolution of genome content. During my PhD, I focused on the evolution of the GC-content of genes at the phylogenetic scale and I quantified the importance of both translational selection and non-adaptive biased gene conversion towards GC (gBGC) or mutational bias on the evolution of codon usage (i.e. GC3). Presently, I am quantifying the effect of mutation load after episodes of range expansions in human populations. There is indeed a decrease of fitness in colonizing individuals during a range expansion. I model the recovery of fitness after a range expansion taking into account the importance of recombination events for such a recovery. I aim to distinguish between the effects of pure demographic expansions and those of spatial expansions, at both genes scale and non-coding regions. My project is to study how expansion load that is a non-adaptive process interferes with adaptations to new environments.
- 2016- : Postdoc (CMPG lab) at the Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Bern, Switzerland.
- 2013-2016: PhD in evolutionary biology with Prof. D. Mouchiroud, L. Guéguen and M. Bailly-Bechet on the evolution of codon usage within and between species at the University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France .
- 2010-2012: MSc in Biology at the Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS) de Lyon, France.
- 2011-2012: MSc in Bioinformatics at the University Pierre and Marie Curie (Paris, France).
- 2009: Admission to the ENS de Lyon, France.
- Pouyet F*, Aeschbacher S*, Thiéry A & Excoffier L (2018) Background selection and biased gene conversion affect more than 95% of the human genome and bias demographic inferences. eLife 7: e36317 [Abstract and pdf]
- Pouyet F, Bailly-Bechet M, Mouchiroud D & Guéguen L (2016) SENCA: A multilayered codon model to study the origins and dynamics of codon usage. Genome Biology and Evolution 8(8): 2427-2441 [Abstract and pdf]